Thursday, June 16, 2011

Owning a Home 101

"I've never owned something on a Tuesday and was ready to sell it back by Friday"
This is usually my go-to one liner about becoming a home owner at 24 years old :) I am very blessed that my parents were kind enough to sell me their home and help me invest in property rather than renting. Honestly, I love my neighborhood, my yard with my kayak pool and my adorable 3 bedroom ranch home but the thought of a mortgage, property tax and home repairs becomes reality when you sign your pretty signature to those papers!! I would be lying if I said it didn't stress me out a bit!!

Over the past 3 years, I have had three roommates and enjoyed my time being my own land lady :) But I haven't done much decorating to make the place "my own". It's like time just flew by and before I knew it, my life felt so different, but it all still looked the same!!

So this weekend, I decided I would change things, one room at a time!! :)

When I first bought the house, the majority of all the rooms were white... which was just too plain for me!! I immediately painted the main bathroom a dark brown, which I inevitably hated but like I said, time flies and I never changed it... until this weekend!!

I called my BFF Marilena to assist with the paint & redecorating... and I will prelude the photos with a huge THANK YOU to her!! I, and I mean this sincerely, could not have accomplished any of this without her! She is patient (while I picked out colors & accessories), she is knowledgeable (we should of painted the corners first), she is daring (disconnecting the lighting fixture) and she is just all around, a fabulous friend to spend the day with!! :) She ROCKS!!

This is pre-paint just after I removed the cabinet mirror... you can see that for the first time in my life I bought a small tester color before investing in the whole can (which is what I should of done before the brown)... lesson learned!! And even though the very attractive man who sold me the paint told me the primer in the paint would fully cover the brown, it was good to see for myself! :)


Geez, just looking at these flashbacks now are making me feel ill! I can't believe I went so long with these awful colored walls and 1970's fixtures!!! YIKES!!! :)


Below is my brave BFF... removing the old fixture and getting ready to disconnect the electrical!! Amazing!


Here we go... are you ready for the BIG REVEAL?!! :) ..........


I still need to figure out the handles for my sink ... and I did accidentally break the water spout while removing the old mirror so I will get a matching one to the other fixtures soon!!


I didn't have a pre-photo of this wall prior to painting but I am sure you get the idea that it was just plain brown. I had this Marilyn Monroe poster framed when I was about 19 years old and was going to garage sale it this summer, but for now I think it fits perfectly in my super girly bathroom!! :)


In the end, I think major project numeral uno went fabulously!!! I am in love with my new bathroom!!

My next goals are having the wood floors (that I discovered after Valentina & her puppy claws ripped away my carpet from the wall) refinished, painting & redecorating the living room & hallway to match, finishing my closet bedroom (omg another love of my life) and updating the spare bedroom!! I think I have my work cut out for me but I am sooo excited!! WOO WOO!! :)

xoxox

PS I may have to find more reasons to hang out at the hardware store, no joke there are some good looking men there!! :)

1 comment:

  1. You're so cute. I love you, and admittedly had more fun helping out with your bathroom than I thought possible. We are such DIY'ers! The bathroom looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete