Monday, April 16, 2012

Chicago!

Weekend Recap: AMAZING.

I got into Chicago Thursday evening and Brianna quickly whisked us away to happy hour at Tavernita!! It was great to meet Bri's co-workers, and funny to read their "banker" faces when I said I make my living from Parades & Fireworks :) After a few hours of college stories and too many glasses of Chardonnay & Booty Collins (green tea- infused absolut vodka, passionfruit, lemon, cayenne, yohimbre) we desperately needed some food! We headed to Portillo's and consumed the craziest smorgasbord of food ever, I won't even touch on what we ordered to save our dignity :)

Friday morning, I headed out to meet my former co-worker Elizabeth & Steve for the CWS Opening Day vs. the Tigers! I must say I am completely proud of myself for taking the Red Line alone for the first time, even though it was only a couple block walk from Bri's high rise and only 3 stops to our pre-game meet up, Cavanaughs!

We made it to our seats in right center field just in time for the first few pitches; after, of course, some good natured heckling from White Sox nation (which sadly, needs some extensive lessons in fashion). I actually feel bad for Sox fans in general, having your stadium in the middle of nowhere really puts a damper on the full scale tailgating, bar hopping Opening Day that Detroiters (and probably even Cubs fans) are accustomed to. Sadly, the Tigers lost (CWS 5, Tigers 2).


Post game, Brianna and I met up for dinner at Uncle Julio's; which was so yummy, margarita's & steak enchiladas (I literally just drooled writing that). Feeling beyond full, we made our way to Duffy's to catch the end of the Red Wings game with her bf & friends! Duffy's was totally a hot mess, if it's even possible, it had better people watching than the Sox game!! From there the night gets a little blurry, but I know we made it to a bar in Old Town, and someones apartment, and finally home :)

Bri & I at Duffy's

Somehow, Saturday morning, we pulled ourselves together to go to WERQ, a fitness class based on hip-hop dance. I swear it was like we were 19 years old again, dancing in Canada :) I definitely recommend checking it out, if you like to break a sweat while dancing!

After class, Bri & I discovered what could possibly be the best breakfast restaurant in Chicago, Meli Cafe! It has now become our "spot" and we even went back on Sunday!! I totally recommend the fresh squeezed grapefruit juice & feta-spinach-tomato breakfast sandwich on wheat!! (Again, with drooling).

In the afternoon, we headed out to run some errands & shop! We hit up my fav Francesca's, where I purchased the greatest clutch known to women!! Black Satin. Gold Trim. Glitz Peacock Closure. AMAZE.

Saturday night we met up with our friend Melina (who we've been friends with since Jr. High) for dinner at Quartino's! Another fabulous restaurant! And since it is a small plate style & there were three of us, I have no problem sharing what we ordered :) A liter of Sangria, Romaine Heart Salad, Gnocchi, Sea Scallops, Margherita Pizza and a rib pasta dish I couldn't find on the menu. (Still drooling). It was all delicious and much needed for our night out of drinking & dancing!!

Quartino's
The night took us to my next (new) fav place, The Pump Room at Public Chicago. The moment we walked in, I felt like I was at the Chateau Marmont on Sunset, I actually expected to walk outside after and see palm trees, or my brother :) We each decided to order something new to our taste buds, Melina = Old English Gentlemen (Dewar's White Label, Tobacco Syrup, Fresh Lemon Sour, Sweet Vermouth & Egg Wash), Brianna = Raspberry Lychee Bellini (Prosecco, Raspberry & Lychee Syrup) and I had the Pump & Circumstance (Bombay Sapphire Gin, Earl Grey Tea & Lavender Syrup, Fresh Lemon Juice, Simple Syrup & Egg Wash). Truthfully, my drink tasted like I was drinking from a Bath & Body Works Wallflower, which was a little hard to get past. Our second round we all switched it up, but Melina was still the dare devil, ordering a Passion Whiskey Fizz with Chili... it had a kick. I tried to order Hpnotiq (classy I know) which they did not have but luckily the bartender drinks it as well and tried his best to recreate it using tequila and vodka, he came pretty close!!

Shots from the very sweet bartenders at The Pump Room
When the urge to dance took over, we relocated (in the pouring rain) to a hole in the wall bar, that I don't even remember the name of (yes, the drinks were that good). All I do remember is that Bri somewhere found a beer case to use as an umbrella, we cut in line (yes, we were those girls) and their bathrooms were in the basement, which was flooded. It was a hot mess. But we came to dance, and dance we did, until 3 AM! The walk home was memorable, as was our late night shopping spree at 7-11.

Trendiest Umbrella Ever :)
Sunday came entirely too quickly. I literally had to fight back tears when I hugged Brianna good-bye. It was seriously one of the best weekends I've had in a long time, like I am ready to plan a trip back tomorrow :)

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment