Friday, May 13, 2011

Chameleon

Growing up I was super preppy... I only believed in Tommy Hilfiger (in 6th grade I even wore little boy jeans in TH until he came out with Tommy Girl), Ralph Lauren & Calvin Klein... I remember crying in the fitting room at Hudson's begging my mother to buy me a $52 pair of CK's!! I was only in elementary school :)

A lot has changed over the years and I find myself quite the chameleon. Long gone is the brand whore, the Nordstrom credit card and the 'those are from where?!' attitude!! I find myself switching my style on a daily basis... as my new (and still in production) bedroom closet will show (in a future post)... I have a country wardrobe where just about everything goes with my fav BCBG bronzed cowboy boots, a special occasion dress section where glitz meets glamour for a memorable night out, some punk rock tee's with neon track jackets when my dub step dancing takes over, my casual go to of long shirts or dresses with my legging obsession, and any other must haves that catch my eye. 

Any excuse to switch up my style is welcomed and this weekend I have a few :)

This weekend in Detroit is the WYCD's Downtown Hoedown and one of my longtime friends (our lockers were next to each other from 6th to senior year) Amanda and her band Annabelle Road take the stage on Sunday to rock Hart Plaza!! I plan to head downtown around Noon to check out the scene, meet up with friends, enjoy some draft beer all while stomping around in my cowboy boots & extra big hair!! Closing out the night is a performance by Jason Aldean whose album "My Kinda Party" has been on repeat in the Jeep, so I am really looking forward to the day. 

Flash forward...Chameleon... Fist pumps.... It's not just in my big hair & bronzed skin... Sunday night, after I kick off my boots & southern flower messenger purse I will be putting on my leopard jammies and neon headband for the Season 3 premiere of Jerseylicious... one of my fav reality shows!! 

I am so excited to watch Olivia, Gigi & Tracy, the drama, the fashion unfold... I totally love Olivia's style (I'm sure some of you reading this are currently cringing hard) but she does wear a lot of cool pieces!! One of my favs is this scarf, by Two Whistles, below... I definitely will be getting a custom one before the summer is over!!



AND then while I was cruising her FB page for the scarf link, I totally fell in love with these Nike heel tennies... can I pull them off?!! IDK but I might try :)


Long story short, I have come to pride myself on my chameleon style... as out there as it might be one day and muted the next... it's who I am and a whole lot of fun!! 

I think John Fairchild said it best "Style is an expression of individualism mixed with charisma. Fashion is something that comes after style.” I hope that one day, looking back, even if I am embarrassed by an outfit or two, I know that I stuck to who I am, what I am comfortable in and didn't change for anyone, but myself :) and I hope one day to pass that same confidence onto my children... because we each deserve to feel comfortable in our own skin.

xoxox




No comments:

Post a Comment