Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My little street walker

9 yrs ago this week... I found my first furbaby Kapler :)

In high school, my friends & I were obsessed with Gabe Kapler, a meathead outfielder with the Detroit Tigers. Every chance we had, we attended games... to watch him and because we were raised on games at Old Tigers Stadium.


The night before our prom, just us girls headed down to a game. Honestly, I don't think we even had tickets because I remember watching from behind the fences. We didn't stay long (probably because there was some high school party to go to) and walked back to my car, which we had parked on a lonely side street in Grand Circus Park.

The car behind mine, was a bunch of college kids who had left their lights on during the game and were trying to jump it. As we were all piling into my car, they told us they heard a meow coming from underneath and that we should check before driving away. All of us were on our knees listening for a meow... nothing. Just as I was about to turn the key in the ignition... my friend Brianna screamed, "WAIT, I hear it!!"

Listening again... there it was, the tiniest meow. I crawled under the car and found the smallest 5 week old kitten, all dirty and cold, tucked into my engine. I fell in love :) I remember calling my dad on the way home, begging to let me keep it... My dad and stepmom (although they were just dating at this point) deserve a special thank you for allowing me to keep her. Especially when I was college bound at the end of the summer and she wouldn't be accompanying me.



I think they knew I needed her. Four months earlier I had lost my mother to cancer and was going through quite a difficult time (we'll save that for another post)... so I always felt that my mother sent Kapler to me, to help me heal a little bit. Her way of giving me a light in my darkest days... and for that, I am forever grateful.

So here were are, 9 years later... and this little sass monster still has my heart :)

Happy Birthday Kapler!

xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment