Monday, May 23, 2011

Is running contagious?!!

I. do. NOT. run.

In fact, the last time I enjoyed running was probably the bases in Little League! Even when it was time to say goodbye to co-ed baseball teams coached by my dad and advance to the more competitive all girl's team, I opted for 10 yrs of cheerleading... so I can lift & toss anything, but run... not so much!

At the office, I sit directly across from our Turkey Trot race director and two of my co-workers are big into running... so somehow this past March, I was talked into running my first 5k. I figured it couldn't be that bad, the weather was mild, I had been working out on a daily basis since January and I could run with Valentina... so I gave it a shot!

Much to my surprise, V and I had a great time!! My body was sore for a week, especially my right arm... apparently when a 40+lbs Valentina wants to run, you should try to keep up!! She pulled so hard on her lease to go faster, I could hear people shout & point "Look at that dog, dragging her owner!!" :)
Valentina & I running behind TPC PR rep Carly & her dog George.

Tequila, Valentina & I pre-race!
This weekend I decided to lace up my Nike's again, this time for a fabulous cause... the Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure downtown. Much like my co-workers persuaded me, I was able to talk my fav Marilena into running | walking with me. The weather Saturday was amazing and with 40,000 people out on Woodward Avenue... it was a beautiful day in Detroit!!
40,000 runners, walkers, supporters strong! Go Detroit!!

Marilena & I before the race!
Unfortunately, my allergies were in full swing this weekend, making running painful. My throat was so dry, it hurt to speak. I ran with a water bottle to cure the dry throat, which then led to the most annoying cramps, not too mention I really wasn't used to running | working out in such hot weather!! UGH Lame!! :) I didn't do as good as I did with the Corktown run, but still had a great time!!

AND I am still willing to RUN MORE!! I even have a September race on my calendar, the Michigan State Police Fall Color 5k!!

I definitely never thought I would be typing or saying that, but I guess some bugs are good to catch!
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment